How to file a dispute

couple reading the newspaper on the hotelImage: couple reading the newspaper on the hotel

In a Nutshell

Common errors on a credit report include personal information, incorrect late payments and credit card accounts for someone with a similar name. Checking your credit and knowing how to file disputes can help you keep your scores accurate.
Editorial Note: Credit Karma receives compensation from third-party advertisers, but that doesn’t affect our editors' opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when it’s posted.
Advertiser Disclosure

The offers that appear on our platform are from third party advertisers from which Credit Karma receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). It is this compensation that enables Credit Karma to provide you with services like free access to your credit score and report. Credit Karma strives to provide a wide array of offers for our members, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.

Are you making a major financial decision, such as buying a home, in the near future? Making sure your credit report is accurate and up to date is a must.

Your credit report is important to your financial health, as it’s a record of how you’re using and have used credit in the past. The information on your report is used to calculate your credit scores.

It’s a good idea to request a copy of your credit reports at least once a year. You may not realize it, but errors on your credit report are more common than you may think (more on common errors below). Regularly reviewing them can help you catch errors and identity theft.

Here’s what to do if you find an error on your credit report and how to dispute it.

What is a dispute?

If you find an error, such as mistakes in personal information like your mailing address or date of birth, or don’t recognize information on your credit report, you may be able to dispute it by requesting an investigation.

So why would you want to dispute errors? One big reason is that inaccurate information on your report could potentially negatively impact your credit scores.

In most provinces, the credit reporting agencies – Transunion and Equifax in Canada – are required by law to verify the accuracy of any information you’re disputing.

But before you file a dispute, you should understand this: Only information that’s considered inaccurate can be taken off your credit report. Any information that’s accurate (even if it’s negative) will remain on your credit report — usually for six or seven years.

After the investigation, if the credit reporting agency determines that there is an error in your report, changes will be made to your credit report.

Filing a dispute is free and you can file a dispute yourself. Whether you file it yourself or through a company, though, the outcome should be the same (provided the same documentation is provided in both cases).

How do you file a dispute?

Before you file a dispute, gather documentation to support your claim, such as receipts, financial statements and valid pieces of identification.

With TransUnion, you can file a dispute by downloading and completing an Investigation Request Form.

For assistance filing a dispute, you can contact TransUnion at 1-800-663-9980.

Koho Canada advise you to ‘collect documents that support your credit dispute. This can include items like credit card statements, payment receipts, correspondence with any of your creditors, or any other relevant documents.’

Before the credit reporting agencies will make changes to your credit report, they need to verify your claim.

If the lender agrees that your credit report is inaccurate, the credit reporting agencies will update your credit report, but if the lender says the information is accurate, there won’t be a change made to your credit report.

If you contact the lender involved in the dispute directly about the inaccuracy on your credit report (this is done in addition to filing a dispute), this can help the dispute process move more quickly. Explain to the lender the information you believe is inaccurate and ask them to update their files accordingly.

If you’re not happy with the outcome of the dispute investigation, you can escalate your case by asking to speak with the lender in question.

If you’re still not happy with the outcome, you can request for the credit reporting agencies to include a consumer statement for free.

The number of words credit bureaus allow on your statement may vary depending on the credit bureau and your province

If you’re still not satisfied, you can file a written complaint to your province’s or territory’s consumer affairs office.

How long can it take the credit reporting agencies to take action?

Disputes are typically handled by the credit reporting agencies in a timely manner.

TransUnion conclude their investigation into dispute claims within 30 days of the dispute being raised.

What are common credit report errors?

When reviewing your credit reports, it’s a good idea to request copies from both credit reporting agencies, as Equifax and TransUnion may have different information on file about you.

Some of the most common credit report errors to watch out for include:

  • Personal information mistakes, such as outdated mailing addresses or an incorrect date of birth.
  • Incorrect payment information, such as on-time payments showing as late.
  • Negative information that remains on your credit report beyond the maximum seven years (such as bankruptcies).
  • Credit card accounts or loans for someone with a similar name or for someone who has fraudulently used your identity.

Bottom line

By regularly reviewing your credit report and taking the necessary steps to correct errors, you can ensure your credit report is accurate before applying to borrow money for a mortgage or loan.